EX RAAF MTD ASSOCIATION INC VIC
50 Brook Street Woomelang Vic 3485
Registration No A0035769B
ABN NO 57 830 433 735
The ERMTDA 2106/Eq/Pt 7 Files
STOP PRESS, BREAKING NEWS
Okay. This virus has caused the Committee huge problems in organizing your reunion this year and without the help of Richard Brooks we would never have got as far as we have. However due to the rampant no notice effects of COVID 19 we reluctantly have to advise that this year’s reunion has been cancelled and now we are in the continual planning for the replacement next year.
The very recent effects of one case being discovered in Byron Bay led to an immediate repercussion in Qld where that state was shut down virtually with no notice. Immediately thereafter the remaining states closed their borders to anyone coming out of Qld requiring them to self-isolate for 14 days.
It does not take a genius to work out what would happen to our function if that happened the Thursday before. Firstly interstate members would not be able to attend, even if they were already in the state thus putting them out of pocket having to fund their own isolation for two weeks and venues would be required to cancel the actual function activities as well.
We understand that this may be upsetting for some but being caught up hundreds of kilometers from family in a COVID nightmare would be a hell of a lot worse.
We would also point out that the vaccine roll out is at best running well behind time and at worse a bloody farce. The Government target of 4 million by Apr 1 is just a tad short at 670,000, so we cannot rely on that effectively happening either.
And last but not least, look at what is happening in the Northern Hemisphere during their winter period, and we have not even got into ours down here yet. If theirs is any indication then we are in for a full blown repeat of last year.
Clearly this has been a problem for many members as well because traditionally we have received between 30 and 40 written expressions of interest to attend functions by the six to seven month out. Currently we have two, even some of the Committee Members themselves have been waiting to see what happens.
Just so this quick letter is not all doom and gloom so to speak we will include some of our usual inclusions as well.
Vehicle Fact File
In this newsletter we have supplied the details on a vehicle that some of us drove in an official capacity, some to get the morning smoko and many literally avoided like the plague. You will have to look at the attachments to see which one we are talking about.
Unofficial Military Acronyms
Just for a bit of fun we have included a double page of some of the unofficial acronyms used by the military. This lot is from G to N. More to come in the future.
Paraprosdakians are figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected and frequently humorous. Winston Churchill loved them. So here are some to ponder.
1. Where there is a will, I want to be in it
2. The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it’s still on my list
3. If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong
4. War does not determine who is right – only who is left
5. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad
6. I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
7. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice
8. I used to be indecisive. Now I am not so sure
9. You’re never too old to learn something stupid
10. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target
11. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
12. We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public
13. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research
14. I’m supposed to respect my elders, but lately it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one
Reason’s you know that you are from Melbourne
1. When diarizing anything in September, you first consult the footy fixture
2. You were shocked when you found out all street directories are called Melway
3. You felt betrayed when you discovered Melbourne was not the only place in the world with trams
4. If a friend gets a new boyfriend/girlfriend the first thing you ask is “who do they barrack for?”
5. When holding a dinner party, you know the point is to serve food no one has ever heard of, from a country people didn’t know existed, bought from a little shop they will never be able to find.
6. Your kid’s favorite foods are sushi, spanakopita and falafel. Which are also the names of the three kid’s they sit next to at school
7. Cup Day. Gambling at 9AM.Drunk by noon. Asleep by 4PM. Hungover at 5PM, and all while still at work
8. You think the only person who looks good with a moustache is Ron Barassi
9. You’ve been to the Royal Melbourne Show and the scariest ride is the train home
10. You’ve looked out the window of Puffing Billy and waved like an idiot at the cars at the rail crossings. And you’ve watched Puffing Billy pas as you sat at a rail crossing and waved like an idiot
11. You’ve attended a children’s party that had rice-paper rolls, cous cous salad, and a piñata
Willy John Vanderham has had a few minor scare lately but now all is well
Thankfully again we have no details for this section.
Rest In Peace to our departed Truckies, it’s our turn to carry the loads from now.
Truckies Carried The Force, and now will again.